Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hi! I'm guest blogging today....

Hi!
 I'm Jean from Jean's Quilting Page. I work by day as a Library Clerk for a local elementary school and in my spare time I teach quilt piecing classes. I have been sewing all my life, quilting for about 17 years and teaching classes for about 7 years.  I like to design quilts for my classes, but I also teach classes using other artist's patterns. I love trying new techniques and my students end up trying them eventually too!

Recently, I have been working on a new quilt from Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts by Kaffe Fassett called St. Marks. This is a picture of it from the book. It is made up of lots of diamonds. You use a combination of 4 light, 3 medium, 1 light/medium and 1 dark diamond to make a 9 patch diamond. It is very scrappy and I am using contemporary fabrics.

One of the challenges for me is deciding which fabrics are mediums. I think it all depends on how they compare to the lights and darks. Now that might sound just a little too simple, but haven't you ever noticed how fabrics can change appearance depending on what they are with? Lights can look medium, mediums can look light depending on what they are with. So I ended up pairing up fabrics that showed the variance of shades against each other


Here are the 9 diamonds I am using for this block. As you can see, my dark isn't super dark. I just hope it shows up well with the others in the whole quilt.
 You sew your diamonds together in diagonal rows...
and end up with this cute block!
 Here are some blocks I made yesterday. I have about 46 blocks now. There are 2 blocks of most color combinations.
Here are some of the blocks on my portable design wall.

Thank you, April, for asking me to be a guest blogger today, and thanks to YOU for taking the time to read my post! You can read more about making these blocks on my blog post tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Glad I came by....enjoyed your post and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very nice so far. I like the colors that you choose for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jean, thanks for a great guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just thinking of starting diamond blocks. In fact I blogged about it a day or two ago. I guess I need to hop to your blog and see what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Those diamonds are cool!

    Angie
    http://smallpressures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I Love Reader Comments! They make me Smile! Please leave me one!

I try to respond to all comments on my blog except during give-aways. If you never receive a reply to comments you leave here, you are probably a no-reply-comment-blogger. Change that status in your blogger profile and I will start responding to your comments!

NO WORD VERIFICATION HERE! YAY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...