For YEARS this is what the right side of my sewing area has looked like, a complete mess thrown together.
So one day I decided I was going to make a Sewing Mat Organizer. I just "wung" it, if you know what I mean. I measured the distance from the left edge of my machine to the right edge of the table, measured from the back of my machine to the front edge of the table, THEN measured how far down I wanted to pockets to hang down above my thighs. I knew I wanted LOTS of pockets. I had to use some of my owl fabric to go with the theme of my logo and sewing room.
I made 2 rows of 5 pockets. The end pockets are 3 inches wide and the others are 6 inches wide. Lots of space for all my stuff. At first I was going to make a velcro thread/scrap catcher but decided to stick with taping a grocery bag underneath on the corner.