Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In (FNSI) #3 - Several Christmas Blocks & To Open Seams or Not

Last night was a Friday Night Sew-In for Handmade by Heidi.  Being that I'm a night owl, I decided to go ahead and take the pictures and do the blog post for what I worked on.  I had a bunch of scraps and did 2 sessions of sewing.  The first session I didn't precut any pieces I just started randomly putting pieces together.  Some of the blocks I didn't take any pictures of because they are "Basic & Blah".  All of the ones from my 2nd sewing session were pre-thought out, drawing pictures including measurements on paper.  The first picture were my scraps that I put in piles according to shape and size.

TO OPEN SEAMS OR NOT?
When I started quilting I ironed all my seams open.  Then I saw a video by the Missouri Star Quilt Company showing Jenny ironing all her seams to the dark fabric.  That does save time but I find that my blocks and quilt tops lay flatter when the seams are open.  So now I am back to ironing them open, though it takes a little bit longer but I think the results look better.  There are different personal preferences in quilting like Prewash your fabrics or NOT?  Do you Iron your Seams Open or NOT?  Do you use binding that is pieced together on the bias or pieced together on a straight seam?  Cotton or Polyester Thread?  Polyester or Cotton Batting?  This list goes on and on.



1ST SESSION INCLUDING MY FIRST EVER LOG CABIN BLOCKS:





2ND SESSION INCLUDING A FUN BRICK BLOCK.  I TRIMMED ALL BLOCKS TO 10" EXCEPT THE BRICK, FORGOT TO DO THAT ONE:









2 comments:

  1. Love that dotted Christmas tree fabric!

    I'm a press-to-the-dark-side kinda girl, but I recently posted about the wonders of pressing open. For simple blocks (HST's, strip pieced blocks) I'd probably press open. For intricate blocks, probably to the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Deborah, I totally agree, the more seams in a block, I would probably press to the side.

    ReplyDelete

I Love Reader Comments! They make me Smile! Please leave me one!

I try to respond to all comments on my blog except during give-aways. If you never receive a reply to comments you leave here, you are probably a no-reply-comment-blogger. Change that status in your blogger profile and I will start responding to your comments!

NO WORD VERIFICATION HERE! YAY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...