Thursday, June 2, 2011

FREE & Simple Way to Save on your Electricity Bill

Hey Yall, I am not sure who knows about this.  I thought I would share in order to maybe help some of yall save some money.  TURN YOUR HOT WATER HEATERS OFF WHEN NOT IN USE!  Yep, I said TURN IT OFF!  

In my apartment, my breaker box is in the kitchen.  2 of us live in my apartment.  When we are not taking showers or running the dishwasher we keep the Hot Water Heater breaker off.  Then when one of us needs to take a shower or when we need to run the dishwasher, we turn the Hot Water Heater breaker on about 1 hour before we need hot water.  LAST MONTH I SAVED ABOUT 50% ON MY ELECTRICITY BILL!  I was shocked.  Studies have shown that typically you will save about 25% or more.  I have a brand new Water Heater that is energy efficient so maybe that is why I saved so much on my bill.  I am not sure how this would work with larger households or with children, especially if you have multiple showers/bathtubs.  Might be hard to coordinate with everyone but it's worth a shot.

The first couple of days I forgot to turn on the Hot Water Heater before my shower so I started to take a cold shower, then ended up getting out & waiting for hot water.  But after that, we got the groove of things and now it's a routine that is easily incorporated into our daily lives.

Let me know if any of you are currently doing this or have heard of this.

4 comments:

  1. If only that would work for me! I do too much laundry/bathing/dishes and general washing with hot water to make that work. (4 kids can do that to ya!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty Thrifty idea!!! Unfortunately we are a household of 9 which includes 3 children :-( I will see if it helps turning it off at night though while we are asleep :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nifty idea but I have gas. I'll pass the idea on to my parents who do have electric water heaters. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

    Start following our signals NOW and profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete

I Love Reader Comments! They make me Smile! Please leave me one!

I try to respond to all comments on my blog except during give-aways. If you never receive a reply to comments you leave here, you are probably a no-reply-comment-blogger. Change that status in your blogger profile and I will start responding to your comments!

NO WORD VERIFICATION HERE! YAY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...